Friday, September 28, 2012

Adult Learner

Big news! I'm going back to school! Well...sort of. Online school. I'm get to take classes to become certified as a medical transcription editor. Basically I'll be learning medical terminology, typing skills, and editing skills for speech recognition programs. It's going to be tough, but I'm really excited about it.

If any military spouses are interested in getting free certification education, you should really look into MyCAA. I had an interest in medical transcribing so I went the long route. I researched accredited programs and looked into costs first. I found Career Step and liked their program and cost best. The mister and I were fully committed to the idea and were ready to pay out of pocket for the whole thing. But luckily I entered in my initial information before sleeping on it. I got an email from an academic adviser who literally walked me step by step through the MyCAA application process. It only took a few easy minutes to input my educational goals, and (when that was approved) my financial aid request. Turns out my education is going to be paid in full! Honestly even if you're not military, like I said, it was the best program that I found for the price and they have financial aid options available.

I'm super excited and a little nervous about an independent study online education. I'll really have to work to keep myself motivated especially through the hard parts. Pray for me, send good karma, cross your fingers! I'll need all the positivity I can get.

I started my initial research on Tuesday, got in touch with my adviser on Wednesday and was approved and registered on Thursday. Crazy right!? Career Step has a referral program, so if you're interested let me know and I can put you in touch with them. You'd help me out and get hooked up with a great adviser who makes it painless and easy for you.

2 comments: