Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Aviano & Venezia

Sarah, Lindsay, and I stopped by the Aviano Market to browse the booths. A lot of things caught our eyes but the internal debate of want v need stopped us from buying anything. I do wish that I bought a straw fedora. While I was trying it on my contact decided to bail out so I got distracted by trying to get it back onto my eye. It wasn't until later that I remembered that I was interested.

Aviano Market

After a quick coffee stop, we went to Sacile train station to start our Venezia day trip! My former roommate (Tawny), Sarah, and I were thick as thieves during my last semester of college. Sarah and I were definitely missing our Tawny so we brought her along for the adventure.

Venezia
Venetian graffiti
gelato

We had lunch at a little ristorante that had a little lunch buffet. It was delicious and perfect for our poor starving stomachs.

Ostaria Al Vecio Pozzo
Santa Croce, 656
Venezia, Italia

I finally found a genuine Venetian mask during our wanderings. A man was actively making masks right there in the storefront as we browsed so I know it's not one of those mass produced replicas. I loved so many of them, it was a matter of figuring out which one I loved the most.

Venetian mask
Casanova
Calle del Cristo
San Polo, 2210

I've also been looking for some art of Venice. I was checking out some of the street vendors, but we happened past a small store with etchings that caught my heart. I couldn't pass them up. Not only are the etchings made with handmade copperplate engravings, the paper it's printed on is also handmade. The saleswoman was also telling me that the frame was wrapped with hand marbled paper. Could she have been pulling my leg and feeding me lines about the handmade art? Sure. But I got a good vibe from the store and went with it. The etching I picked was the only one with a green and blue color scheme. The rest were nice, but I have a soft spot for green and blue.

Etching
Athena
San Lio n. 5765 Castello
30122 Venezia, Italia

When we made our way to the Rialto Bridge, it was packed...more so than the last time I visited. This time there were vendors lining the streets leading up to the bridge so it was a battle to make our way through the crowds at some points. Same with St. Mark's Square. We snapped some pictures and tried to make our way back to the train station. We got horribly lost and ended up in the most random part of the island. After a lot of map consultations and shrugging we eventually found our way. Isn't that how it always goes when it comes to Venice though?

Rialto Bridge
ruined picture
Venezia, Italia

2 comments: