Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bari

Cruise Stop #1: Bari, Italy

I assumed Bari would be a charming seaside town in southern Italy. I was so looking forward to visiting! But I was wrong. I sure, there were a few charming aspects. But for the most part Mom, Will, and I spent our time making the best of the trip. Luckily we got to see some pretty interesting sites. Unluckily, we docked on a Sunday so only a handful of shops were open. I guess that's a good thing because I'm a big impulse shopper and a terrible window shopper once I get in the spending mood.

The port itself was a typical port. Industrial and not really pretty. 


Port of Bari
Port of Bari
We made our way through the Bari maze to Basilica di San Nicola (Church of Saint Nicholas). When we got there, they were finishing up their Sunday service. It was amazing how many tourists didn't care. They walked around taking pictures of the priest and the church without any regard for the congregation. We came back 10 minutes later when they were done.


Basilica di San Nicola
Basilica di San Nicola
The church has a beautiful golden roof and an amazing...uh...pulpit area. I'm not familiar with what it's officially called. If anyone knows, I'd love to be educated on the matter.


Basilica di San Nicola
Gorgeous golden roof
Basilica di San Nicola
Pulpit Area
We wound our way along the water all the way around to Castello Svevo. They turned parts of the castle into a museum of old artifacts and art.


Castello Svevo
Castello Svevo
Castello Svevo
Will checking out some carvings
After the castle, Mama got her first taste of Italian gelato. She chose fragola (strawberry). I had my favorite (yogurt). Will passed and was designated as picture taker for the momentous occasion


Gelato
Gelato!!!
Next, we found the Cattedrale di San Sabino aka the Bari Cathedral.


Cattedrale di San Sabino
Cattedrale di San Sabino
Mama wanted to take more pictures of the cute buildings we found, so I took a rest on a bench and I found this graffiti:


Ti Amo
Ech loves Will
After getting back to the boat, going to dinner, and seeing that night's show we got back to the room to find this surprise!


towel art
Mr Penguin
Will had left his sunglasses on the bed so our attendant used them for his work of art. We were thoroughly entertained by our little penguin.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos! yummmm, gelato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH your photos are amazing!! I want to go visit Italy SO BAD. I would love to live there one day as well.. A girl can dream, right?
    Your pictures are fantastic!! I can't wait to see more!!!

    Anyway, I'm your newest follower! I'm a Military wife, and new to the blogging world! I just started my new blog recently, as a way to reach out to more military SO's, as a counterpart to my twitter account! SO HI!
    You should stop by my blog! I'm having a huge giveaway with Military Dolls Clothing :)We just wanted to come together and give a big thank you to other military wives/gf's/fiancee's who are a part of this life! Hope to see you over there! :)
    Have a good day!
    Toodles Chickadoodle!

    ReplyDelete