Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Buon Natale!

Here's the thing...I was so busy running around yesterday that I didn't take a single picture. Fail right?

We hosted our first Christmas at our house this year. I gathered up all our friends so we could enjoy each other's company and distract ourselves from being homesick.

The menu:
Mini Salad Bar
Warm Bean Dip (source)
Baked Potato Soup (source)
Turkey (SO easy to make, just throw a frozen Butterball turkey in the crock pot with the gravy packet it comes with and cook on low for 8 hours. That's IT! Shred it and serve it in its delicious gravy juices.)
Sweet Corn Bread (source)
Mac & Cheese (source) (It's a slow cooker recipe, but I made it on the stove instead.)
Mashed Potatoes (Out of a box...womp womp I know, but I made almost everything else from scratch so I no more energy for the real stuff.)
Grape Salad (source)
Cheesecake (recipe from the cream cheese box)
Pumpkin Pie (recipe from the pumpkin puree can)
Reese's Pie (from one of our friends)

Lessons I Learned:
Don't forget that you're defrosting chicken...you'll have to throw it all out just to safe.
Give everyone a solid time to arrive. Putting everything out early and having to reheat it will throw off your cooking schedule.
Don't try to cook a whole box of instant mashed potatoes at once. It won't fit in the pot (the one I own anyway).
Remember to get extra containers to give away leftovers.
Remember to actually make people take home leftovers.

I had such a blast hanging out with good friends. I was heading for the doldrums over the impending separation from my husband. It helped a lot to hang out with couples who are going through the same thing and with our friends who will still be here.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great idea to have friends over when none of you had family around! And looking at that menu, I would have loved to come over. And I secretly love instant mashed potatoes. I like the real kind too--but I always get excited for the fake kind. Terrible, I know.

    ReplyDelete