Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sarah's Key

Click image for details
I found this book on the shelf. I picked it up and read the back to see if I could jog my memory. My favorite writer, Augusten Burroughs, gave a little quote praising story. I can't remember why or when I bought it, but I'm glad I did. Did you know that there was a large scale roundup of Jews in Nazi-occupied France? I had no idea! French police arrested and detained French citizens and held them in French camps before shipping them up to Auschwitz.

The story is told from two points of view, a young Jewish girl who was arrested with her family and a middle aged journalist writing a story about roundup. They are linked through tragic events and as Sarah digs deeper, she finds herself more and more emotionally connected to the girl. It's a heartbreaking story that has stuck with me every since I finished it. It was so compelling, I read the bulk of it in one sitting and finished it in two days. Be prepared for some tears. I'm not normally a crier when it comes to books, but this one made me tear up a couple times.

Photobucket

I read this books as part of Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge. It falls under the category of a book I've had at home but haven't gotten around to reading. Yay 5 points!

1 comment: