Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chopped

It finally happened. I stopped talking about it and did it. I cut my hair. I feel five pounds lighter and I keep whipping my head back and forth to feel my hair actually move with my head instead of fighting against it. I was actually going to wait until I got back to The States, but something happened a few days ago that expedited the process. My hair tried to kill me in my sleep. No joke. I woke up with my hair wrapped around my neck and tucked in under my shoulder. When I leaned on my arm to push up, it tightened around my neck and choked me a little. For the sake of my health I had to book the first available appointment at the salon on base.

I didn't take before pictures, but here's some recent shots to give you an idea of what I started out with:

long hair
long hair

I played with the idea of cutting it up to my chin, but I chickened out. Will actually liked the idea and encouraged it. That surprised me since he always said he preferred I keep my hair past my shoulders. Maybe next time I'll go for it. But this time I went with a medium length cut (but SUPER short to me since I'm so used to my long hair).

new haircut
"What did I do!?"
I miss my long hair, but I'm super happy with the cut. I had it cut for a side part for the first time ever. I usually go with a middle part, but I figured I was completely changing my hair so I may as well change the part too.

A few reasons why I loved my hair dresser:
  • She didn't insist on small talk. I was focusing all my concentration on not flopping my head down and falling asleep. So trying to do the whole small talk thing could have ended in disaster.
  • She asked when the last time I had last washed my hair before picking out a shampoo based on how it felt. I've never had anyone ask me that before. I had a lot more faith that she would treat me right after that.
  • When I showed a picture of my idea she walked me through all the elements of it.
  • I asked for a good amount of length to be cut. She showed me where she would cut and confirmed the length. Then she cut it. I hate when I ask for a lot to be cut off and the hair dresser only cuts an inch off at a time and won't just go for it.
  • She was so meticulous about making sure my hair was even at all points. I've had some people only check the lengths at two or three spots and call it good. She checked at least a dozen to make sure. I can appreciate a person who puts that much effort in their work.
I'm excited to wash my hair and see how it looks curly. Will hopes it'll turn into a lion's mane. He's so excited to get home to pet and feel my hair. I'm not sure what he means by that because it actually feels the same when I pet it....there's just less to pet.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, and this was on base?! I'm going to need her name! The girl who did mine on base several months ago totally butchered it and I had to let it grow out and then get it recut when I went back to America to visit.

    I had really long hair once and my turning point was when I got it stuck in my car door. I turned to leave, but it yanked me back. OUCH! I cut it (donated a good 10") a couple weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on taking the plunge. I need mine cut bad but just keep putting it off too. Although mine hasn't tried to kill me...maybe it would if I didn't sleep with it in a braid. Hmm.... oh well.

    I also wanted to make sure you knew about my newest giveaway? I'm giving YOU presents for MY birthday! How cool is that? http://msmorgansrealitycheck.blogspot.com/2013/01/celebration-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute haircut! I'm so not the small-talk hairstylist, either. You can usually tell, if people want to talk to you, they'll keep talking and you just have to listen and ask questions from time to time. And if they don't want to talk, they're just quiet. I never want to talk when I'm getting my haircut so I never try to make my clients talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! It completely fits you! :) And i'm always one to encourage people to go short (if i think they can pull it off) because it's just hair and it grows back!! :) :) DO IT! hah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Glad you lurve your hairdresser. Good ones are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic! I just got mine cut and colored and it just wasn't what I was hoping for :/

    ReplyDelete