Saturday, January 12, 2013

Deployment Toolbox

The mister is about to be deployed for the first time and I'm a little freaked out by the all the unknowns. I reached out to some military spouses and asked for advice. If you'd like to guest post about deployments...advice, your experience, homecomings, anything at all relating to deployments...shoot me an email echandwill@gmail.com





Hi everyone, my name is Niki and I blog over at My Life My Way and I thought I would share with you all my little secret weapon in getting through a deployment.

I have what I call a "Deployment Toolbox" or you can call it a "kit" and this is what is inside:

Books:
Going Overboard by Sarah Smiley
Confessions of a Military Wife by Mollie Gross

Movies:
Saving Private Ryan
We are Soldiers
Dear John

Other Supplies:
A bottle of hubby's cologne
One of his t-shirts
Count down jars for my kids with their favorite candy inside
Kleenex
Stationery
Journal

Each person's toolbox or kit is going to be different. I chose movies that are about the military because it makes me feel closer to hubby. The books I mentioned are my go to's when I need a good laugh. I spray some of hubby's cologne on the shirt and sleep with it every night. My kids eat a piece of candy out of the jar each night marking one day closer to Daddy/Hubby coming home. I write letters to the hubby, my kids draw pictures, and they also e-mail daddy too. I journal about what is going on and hubby usually does this too when he can so I know what it is like over there. We send care packages to hubby. I almost always include pictures of the kids with a note about what they are currently doing or just some funny tidbit.

I hope this helps anyone who is going to be dealing with a deployment in the future.

Niki

Blog / Pinterest / Twitter




I love the idea of a candy countdown. We don't have kids yet, so I guess I'll have to take one for the team and eat them myself!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my post. I look forward to hearing from your readers. :) Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is he deploying? What branch is he in? My husband just got back from his (eyeroll) 4th deployment. Glad he's home and let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete