Monday, January 7, 2013

The Bunny Suit

"What's that?"

He should have known I would be curious about whatever it was he had rolled up and clipped to his work backpack.

"Hmmm?"

The dumb card? Really? That doesn't work on me.

"That!"

I pointed at the Twinkie colored rolled up thing. Maybe that's why it caught my attention. It was rolled up into a Twinkie shape and everything.

"Oh, it's an intake suit."

Game over. I asked nicely, whined, and guilt tripped him until I got my way. He solidified my resolve to get him into the suit by calling it a bunny suit. Well that makes no sense. Bunnies aren't yellow!

intake suit

Three questions immediately popped into my mind when he suited up:
What protects your face? (Nothing.)
What protects your hands!? (Nothing.)
Why did you bring it home? (I was wearing it all day at work.) ....uh...doesn't really answer the question, but okay.

Turns out the suit is more about protecting the intake on the jet, not the person going into it. There's cuffs on the ankles and wrists and the neck has a drawstring to tighten to catch anything that falls from your pockets. You're also supposed to wear protective booties over your shoes.

And that is just one of many things crew chiefs do. I'm sure this is nothing new to anyone who works on commercial jets or machinery, but it's new to me so I'm amused. I wanted to try on the suit, but it was dirty and I was freshly washed.

If you want to see an intake suit in action, click here and here to see pictures from the Air Force site.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha love it. I would've made him try it on too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha the ones out crew chiefs wear are white lol

    ReplyDelete