Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Post-Office Girl

More info about this book at powells.com (new window)
Click image for more deatils
If you don't like spoilers, don't read the summary of this book. It pretty much gives away the entire premise of the book. Sure, there are a lot of details that aren't given in the summary, but still...I don't want to know the whole plot of a book before I read it.

Here's a proper summary in my words: A girl from a small town in Austria was forced to grow up too fast during WWI and the ensuing depression era. She doesn't know anything outside of her simple life as a post office clerk, working day in and day out scrimping and saving every penny. That is, until her estranged aunt invites her to join in on a holiday at a posh hotel in the Swiss Alps. Suddenly she's thrust into upper-crust society and she can't bear go back to her old life.

You know the saying, "Ignorance is bliss"? This book highlights the meaning of this saying. I don't know how Stefan Zweig can write so monotonously, yet beautifully about this 20-something year old girl and her depressing realization...that her life sucks and now she knows it. When I say his writing is monotonous, I don't mean that it's boring. I mean it should be boring, but somehow it isn't. It wasn't a difficult read. In fact, it was fun most of the time. 

This book fulfills the "Read a book that was originally written in a language other than English." Yay another 15 points bringing my total to 20! I really need to up my book consumption if I'm going to complete this book challenge on time. Wish me luck!

Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge

1 comment: