Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Disaster Adjacent

Today I tried to make up for our unproductive weekend. I was all gung-ho about getting things done! I picked up around the first floor...but then Will decided to dump his mo bag out to see what he needed to update/keep/replace.

I decided to wrap the box I wanted to send to Seester since she's currently deployed. I've been taking advantage of the free APO to APO shipping. I've been hoarding boxes for care packages for Will and Seester and I use brown paper bags to wrap them for shipping. I'm feeling super crunchy granola about it. But then the bag ripped as I was breaking it down. Rather than waste another bag, I made it work.


The sides were a pain the butt. I was muttering and swearing so much Will had to scold me. For a crew chief to scold me on my language...wow that means something. The tape split and refused to match up again. Everytime I almost got it lined up, it would pull apart again. I ended up using scotch tape to hold everything down and then going over it again with packing tape. 


To cheer myself up after the whole box debacle I decided to make myself a cheesecake. Ever since Halie over at Penguins, Pasta & Polka Dots mentioned cheesecake, I've been craving it like crazy. I checked my Pinterest boards and found a recipe. I've never used a spring form pan before so it was already an adventure. Well somehow during the crust making portion the clasp came undone. Graham cracker crumbs everywhere.


I moved along and realized I didn't have a pan for the water bath. Great. I tried it anyway. It's chilling in the fridge now so I'll let you know how that goes. Fingers crossed it's edible!

To make up for the crazy cheesecake, I made a brown sugar Italian chicken. But I didn't realize until halfway through preparing everything that the chicken pieces weren't all the way defrosted. It worked out okay though. I didn't set the timer after one of the rotations so it ended up a little overcooked, but still really good.


After all my attempts at productivity turned into almost disasters, I gave up. Now I'm going to catch up on my favorite blogs and then I'm going to read Gone Girl.

5 comments:

  1. Please let us know how the cheesecake turns out! And that chicken looks YUMMY :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad about the mess that the crust made! I probably would have cried at that point. I always feel I can handle anything except cooking disasters. Not cooking disasters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband tells me it's not worth eating if a mess wasn't made in the process. I think that's just an excuse for his messy habits, but I do see his point. I'm sure the cheesecake came out wonderfully. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure your friend will be able to open that package with all that tape!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah i like how real you keep it! Baking/cooking/packaging is not always a freaking cake walk. I find myself messing things up all the time!
    Can't wait to hear about the cheesecake! yumm

    ReplyDelete