Thursday, March 28, 2013

Expiration Dates...Check Them

So I thought I was being super strong and rock solid for Will this week. I was! But then he came home and told me the date he's leaving. I seriously thought I gave him a "Okay, we knew it was coming and it's good that we finally have a deployment date." But apparently I was giving him a horrified look because he immediately wrapped me in his arms and whispered, "I know." And the minute he hugged me I started crying. DAMN IT! I was doing so well too.

Anyway, did you know toothpaste has an expiration date? I guess we always just buy them when the last tube runs out so I never thought about it....until two days ago. Our tube was on its last leg. I mean, we were really squeezing the life out of it to get the very last bit out. I had a running list of things we needed from the BX so I figured we'd just pick a new tube up on our next trip. Well when Will dumped his mo bag out, he found the one we'd stuck in there for exercises. Yay!


Will: Where did you find this? [holding a box of toothpaste]
Ech: Really? You're going to act like you didn't just pull it out of your mo bag?
Will: But I didn't put it here.
Ech: I hate you. Stop being creepy! I didn't leave this chair! [I was literally sitting in front of the computer for at least half an hour doing my daily blog reads.]
Will: Maybe I did. I don't remember setting it down on the stairs. [Looks down at the pile of toiletries he just pulled out of his bag, then looks at the stairs.]
I'm super easy to creep out so now I have the heebies because there's a chance he didn't set it down on the stairs.

Remember how we moved here in August of 2011? A few weeks after we got here there was an exercise so we bought a bunch of toiletries for his mo bag inspection. And he just left everything in there for all the exercises between then and now. So...that toothpaste definitely expired January of 2012.

Did either of us think about this before we used it the next morning? Of course not! He noticed it was a little discolored, but didn't think anything of it. My contacts were bugging me that morning so I didn't see the color, but I noticed that it disintegrated alarmingly fast and had none of the usual fresh minty flavor. I immediately spit it out and checked the crimp. SICK NASTY! I was overly disturbed that I had that stuff in my mouth!!! Will kind of shrugged it off and probably would have continued to use it if I hadn't replaced it that day.

We had a lot of errands to do so it was easy to swing by the BX and pick up a new tube....and then we accidentally somehow ended up walking out with two new video games as well. What? I forgot that the new Gears of War came out like two weeks ago and the new Bioshock was on a fancy display reminding us to pick one up.

6 comments:

  1. Oops!

    I did know about the tooth paste because I remember seeing a date on it and being like, "Oh, crap."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweety, I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue thanks for sharing so from now on I can check the date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't know that...crap i need to check the dates on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i hit "publish" before i was done with my comment!
    ::hugs:: about his deployment date....we will definitely be here for you, but i know it isn't even a percentile of the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. eek! We need new toothpaste. I'm afraid to check now. LOL

    ReplyDelete