Tuesday, April 2, 2013

On Your Marks!

I was lying down on the second floor reading when I heard a loudspeaker outside. Obviously I had to see what was going on and was surprised to see a crowd of people hanging out. They had set up barriers for a bike race. It took me a few minutes, but I figured out that they were doing roll call. I managed to get a shaky video of the first wave taking off and the second wave getting ready.

Roll Call
The trees bloomed!

Here in Italy...and I believe in all of Europe...they celebrate Easter Monday. So today is a national holiday in case you were wondering why a bunch of people were at a bike race instead of at work or in school. Last year our landlord's family had a little get together for just us and his family in our party room. Well, for Cass and them. I was sick so I was passed out in a NyQuil haze. But they saved me some leftovers and it was amazing! So I'm guessing it's all about church and food. Kind of similar to the States. I haven't seen any Italian kids running around with chocolate bunnies or plastic eggs, so I think that part might just be a US thing. (Can anyone confirm that?)

9 comments:

  1. I remember you said the weather has still been cold for you, those trees make it look like possibly spring is finally starting for you?

    And 50% off Easter candy is the best - that is my Easter Monday celebration hahaahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall chocolate or bunnies being involved at Easter in Malaysia, so that seems to contribute further evidence to your "America only" theory. I remember one year some relatives sent us a package that had jelly beans and stuff and we shared them with our friends because jelly beans weren't a normal thing over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm in England and over here I know they have chocolate bunnies and Easter candy for sale at off base stores so I'm fairly sure they celebrate Easter here also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a bike race would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds like such an interesting tradition, and something definitely interesting to wake up to!

    xoxo, Amy @ Interpret As You May

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so appreciate the Easter Monday holiday that happens here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo fun I want to celebrate there too!

    ReplyDelete