Thursday, April 18, 2013

Things I Wish I Knew Before

The day Will began his deployment, I sprayed his cologne on our pillows. BIG MISTAKE! As soon as my head hit the pillow...immediately tears. You know why? His delicious scent was all over me and the bed and it was a punch in the face reminding me that he's gone. Aaaand the scent is still there...faintly...but still there nonetheless.

I wish I knew it would take a little more than a week for packages to get to him. I wouldn't have spent a perfectly nice afternoon trying to wrap his damn box. If you didn't know, I despise decorating and wrapping. But I do it because I'm a girl who thinks it's cute to wrap and decorate things. Although...full disclosure...I've only decorated one of his boxes so far ( his birthday one) and none of Seester's boxes.

APO to APO shipping is free. Once boxes leave The States, the rest of their journey is through the military. BUT, it is not free if you use the priority boxes. So...wrap it. I deconstruct paper bags from the grocery store, turn it inside out, and use it to wrap all my boxes. Free! A little difficult, but free. And I reuse boxes that were shipped to us (I do a lot of online shopping since we live overseas).

Don't tell my husband about our bills. I made the mistake of telling Will that I got the gas and electricity bill in the mail. All I heard from then on was, "Did you pay the bill?", "Did you pay the bill yet?", "Did you pay the bill today?". HOMEBOY! It's not due until the end of the month! I'm not going to waste gas on a trip just to pay the bill. I'll do all the errands together on one day. (For the record, I paid the bill this morning.) He's such a micro-manager.

Bloggers. Are. Amazing. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. I love how supportive my blogger friends have been. They get it or they want to get it and they've been so so so sweet throughout this whole thing. I never thought it was a bad idea to blog, and now I definitely think it's an essential part of surviving this deployment.

7 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that if you reuse the priority/flat rate boxes you *may* get someone who will make you unwrap the box to prove that it's not one of those boxes. I thought I was being all sneaky and they called me on that and made me pay to ship it. I was soooooo mad. With that said, if you need more boxes, they have extra ones at the back of the BX—just ask for some empty boxes! Gotta love the free APO/APO shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the free APO shipping when I was in Europe. Unfortunately in the States we have to pay no matter what. Blah. I mainly just use those priority boxes anyway and I think it's like 14.85.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloggers are so amazing! I find it to be such a warm and supportive community and I've seen that even more since the Boston tragedy. I really love that part of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So new follower.. I don't know why it took me so long to find your blog. But I am glad I did. Totally agree with this post... bloggers will help hold you together when the going gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate decorating and wrapping too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I distinctly remember one day before Angel and I got married and he was living in TX, and I was at college when a guy walked past wearing the same cologne that Angel wears (it's very distinct--Calvin Klein 1, it's kind of girly, actually) and I felt an instinct to follow that guy around. :P
    I despise wrapping, too. I typically "wrap" ANgel's birthday presents in....grocery bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever seen the AFN commercial where the military guy is looking at their bills and says "she didn't write anything down!?" That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

    Glad you're hanging in there. And yay for supportive bloggers! During my husband's last deployment, I feel like they cared more to check on me than most of my real life friends.

    ReplyDelete