Monday, May 6, 2013

What I Do

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?

I don't really know how to answer this question.

Blog.
Read.
Clean.
Cook.
Bake.
Play video games.
Watch Netflix.
My husband.
Eat.
Sleep.
Etc.

This is a weird question. It's actually a question that comes up a lot because I'm a housewife. I hate answering it. "What do you do all day?" Like I have explain myself because I don't work or go to school.

The last time I wrote about being a housewife, I got so many comments saying things like:

"Have you thought about taking classes?" No, I already have a degree.
"Maybe you could get a part time job." Why? My husband and I decided that I wouldn't work.
"But really...what do you do all day?" Seriously? Get out of here now.

*I should explain that those comments were not written on this blog. I had posted about it on a blogger community site and it made me really step back and stop trying to connect with people for a while because of all the comments I got. Thankfully, almost all the comments I get on this blog are supportive and uplifting.*

**I should also explain that I think it's great when other women have full time jobs and can cook, clean, raise their kids, go to school, and whatever else. Good for you! That's awesome! I just am not one of those women and I'm okay with that.**

You know that fable about the man and the boy taking their donkey to the market? I'm not going to lose my happiness and marriage trying to conform to what other people think I should be doing. I'm happy. My husband is happy. Our marriage is so much better now that I don't work. That's what's most important to us.

You can also find me over at to the sea talking about what it's like as an expat living in Italy. Let me know what you think!

10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean... but I even get it from my husband a lot. "What do you do all day?" Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I would love to be a stay at home wife. Having a job doesn't mean that only then you have an identity. I also dislike this question but mostly because I hate saying "I'm a cosmetology student." It feels like it's practically a lie, anyways. I don't feel like a cosmetology student, that's only what I do with 40 hours a week and I can't wait till it's okay. I want to be a stay at home wife and write stories on my computer all day long. I was a SAHW for the first three months that I had this blog, over summer break, it was pretty sweet. I actually had time to do lots of fun stuff! Plus, I don't particularly want to make more money, and get caught up in that more money, more taxes, more property, more responsibility, kind of cycle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's about you and what works for you and your husband. as long as you're both happy, it shouldn't matter to other people :) just found your blog from to the sea and excited to follow along!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like my days as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life your life however you want to, I like how you included that your husband on the list of things you do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I hate when people try to put you in a tiny little box. I choose to work, and most people give me the opposite remarks that you do. "Wouldn't you love your future kids enough to stay home?" No, I'd love them enough I would work. We each choose our own paths in life, and the only person that needs to be content with that is ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Saw your blog from To The Sea. I assume that a lot of people are jealous when they make those types of comments. I'm a working mom and I am sooo jealous of stay-at-home moms and housewives. I wish it worked for my family but we just really need two incomes (and health insurance!) for our lifestyle. Obviously not every woman is cut out to stay home, but if they have to make a comment about your lifestyle choices, there must be some kind of personal issue beyond fake concern for how you spend your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! I love every single thing you listed ;) You're so cute!

    I actually had a hard time the first few weeks of being a house wife! I was so used to working, and I guess I felt like I wasn't contributing enough to our little family. Who knows, maybe society's take on women working, and couples owning a home, having 2 brand new vehicles and a boat before they are 30 made me feel this way? But once I realized how BUSY life was being a housewife, I got over it real fast. I actually loved it! And I totally believe it made the transition into being a (mostly) stay at home mom easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that question. It makes you realize what really matters in your life.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Lauren
    www.girlsgonefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. "my husband"...
    ...i d.i.e.d. that was amazing! HA
    And shove those idiots away, your life & day is as full as you make it! :)

    ReplyDelete