Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tips for Remembering Your Travels

Tips for Remembering Your Travels

A big pet peeve of mine is looking at gorgeous travel pictures with no explanation of what I'm looking at. Most times there will be a general caption of "Italy or Rome". How am I supposed to add to my travel bucket list if you don't give me details?

I try to carry a notebook to take notes on the places we visit, but I'm actually really bad at remembering to actually write anything down. So I have a few tricks to remember what we saw and where we went.

1) I grab free information pamphlets from everywhere I go. Most restaurants, stores, museums, and even church's have a business card or info sheet. Sometimes they're sitting out for you to take, but sometimes you have to ask. One time I asked a cashier for a business card at this awesome used bookstore in Venice and, after handing me a card, he pointed me in the direction of their back room of really cool books and a hidden outdoor sitting area.

travel pamphlets
All the ticket stubs, pamphlets, and business cards from Mama's visit

2) Maps. Tourist offices give them away for free. Mark your stops on the map to jog your memory later.

3) Take pictures of signs. After I'm done taking my tourist pictures, I take pictures of the plaques and signs nearby.
plaques and signs
Pictures of signs and plaques from our Rome trip

4) Notes on Facebook. I don't always write my blog posts right away, but I almost always post pictures on Facebook that day or soon after. I put short descriptions on every picture so when it comes time to blog I have an easy reference for later.

Do you have any good tips for remembering your travels? More importantly, where's your favorite vacation spot? I'm always adding to my travel bucket list.

9 comments:

  1. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!! Not just of the cool sites, but of your food at a restaurant, your hotel room, and other random stuff that you can reminisce about in the future.
    -Nicole
    www.lungesandlace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love your posts because of all your detailed pictures!

      Delete
  2. I always keep a word document on my laptop on which I quickly jot down everything we did each day. I log tourist sites, walks, restaurants, even TV shows we might have watched. My logs have come in handy when people are visiting and ask for recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take pictures of the signs before I enter a city or attraction! Otherwise I sometimes look at the photos and can't remember where that picture of a tree was from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart! Can I just say, I'm in love with your site? I can't stop reading, you're giving me so many things to add to my list of things to do!

      Delete
  4. Grabbing those pamphlets is a great idea! I'll have to keep these in mine next time I'm traveling. I'm so bad at remembering things. Pictures help so much--but you don't realize, a few years don't the road, even those pictures might not jog your memory quite as well as they used to. I don't think I could remember my own wedding if it wasn't for our pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take pics of signs. It is so helpful to have the info right there on your camera in order w/ what you did! I also take brochures when I go places. Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is SO HELPFUL! I definitely take pictures of signs, but there are some great tips that I haven't thought of! I run into this problem so often

    ReplyDelete