Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Croatia

I love the way my landlord says Croatia. It's sounds like crow-ah-tzee-ah. And of course roll the "r". Slovenian's pronounce it that way too. I think it sounds fancy and so much better than the way Americans say it.

ANYWAY...when my friends picked me up from the airport, they invited me to come along with them to Zagreb on the trip they had been planning. Will and I had been to Zagreb before and I really enjoyed it so I made the spontaneous decision to join them. Why not? We went with another couple, but no one made me feel awkward about it. It was such a great relaxing time and it totally distracted me from the fact that I was horribly homesick.

We stayed at Hotel Dubrovnik right next to Ban Jelačić Square. My friends all stayed on the opposite part of the hotel from me. I'm not sure if that's where the double rooms are, but I had a single overlooking the square so I scored! The hotel staff weren't very friendly or helpful, but the price was reasonable and the hotel was clean and you really couldn't beat the location.

Ban Jelačić Square

We did some sightseeing and shopping. I didn't go out, but my friends did some gambling and dancing.

Cathedral of the Assumption
The view of Cathedral of the Assumption from Old Town
(click the image to enlarge)
Ban Jelačić Square
While checking out the stalls in the square, we ran into soldiers (I think) marching out after a demonstration

While shopping, we ran across this:

streets of Zagreb

It was so random! They were under a picture and a plaque for some guy, so maybe it was a part of that...or maybe someone just left them there? I don't know. We were so intrigued by this random shovel and broom.

I didn't take very many pictures since I'd seen all the same sights before. This trip was more about spending time with my friends rather than travel and sightseeing. It was a great weekend away and a great chance to catch up with them.


A Compass Rose

11 comments:

  1. The shovel and broom... what a mystery! It's so strange when there are monuments and art everywhere one can never be sure if things lying around are art or forgotten junk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am do jealous of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love if Carl and I got stationed in Europe at one point so we could country hope as easily as that! So fun! You have such great friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO jealous, what a cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that broom though...it's very witchy!
    YAY panorama picture! :)
    You always have the best vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great visit! The view of the cathedral is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love those soldiers or whatever they were....of course I'm glad I wasn't there, I have a bad habit of going and asking if I can pet the horses. I'm not sure why..I just see horses and the words come out of my mouth and I later realize that they're probably not meant for petting and I probably look stupid

    ReplyDelete
  8. We originally planned to go to Croatia during our backpacking trip, but it just didn't work out. Now we're hoping to do Croatia and Turkey for our honeymoon! Do you have any suggestions for a romantic trip to Croatia? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love finding random things on travel, and my favourite things to photograph too! It makes for great memories when looking back through the trip. Thank you for linking up with Belinda and I for Travel Tuesday! I hope you link up again next week.

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Croatia too :) We made it over into Bosnia the last time we were there--something that I never thought I'd get to say in my lifetime. It was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Bosnia! I wouldn't mind checking that country out too.

      Delete