Friday, August 30, 2013

Learning More About Myself

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook: "23 Signs You're Secretly An Introvert". I clicked on it and read it for fun...and I was a little surprised to find that I'm secretly an introvert. I knew I had some introvert tendencies, but I didn't think most of the 23 signs would apply.

I've always considered myself an extrovert. In high school I was shy but I tried new things and loved it. In college I was always surrounded by tons of friends, I tried out new clubs, I went to parties every weekend, talking to people was no big deal, and I was always meeting new people by simply walking up and starting a conversation. If you know me in real life, you'd probably assume I'm an extrovert.

But, like I said, most of the 23 signs of being an introvert applied.

I did have my suspicions. When I didn't get a job when we moved to Italy everyone kept (and keeps) asking, "Don't you get bored?" Nope. I really don't. I enjoy it. The truth is, I enjoy the time to myself and I find things to keep myself entertained or busy. Key word being: myself. I don't find things that would entertain anyone else, just me.

After I read the article, it was a "Oh, so that's why I do that" kind of moment. Like why I hate phone calls and why I communicate best in writing and why I feel so exhausted after being active for days in a row. After learning all this, I did a Google search to see what else I could find and I came across this: "Seven Things Extroverts Should Know About Introverts (and Vice Versa)" It's perfect for understanding the opposite personality type.

I'm still a little confused though. So I guess in the end, I'm just a "vert" as Sar would say (see her take on the topic).



My deployment buddies and amazing women I think you should follow and get to know.
Mr. & Mrs. Foster Airing My Dirty Laundry

6 comments:

  1. SO many of those apply to me!! Especially stuff like it's much easier to give a speech in front of hundreds of people than to mingle with them and never answering the phone....
    I do think I'm more of a mix, because I do have extrovert tendencies...I'm nothing like Angel, though, who's totally an extrovert and is always comfortable around new people. I'm also perfectly happy when I'm a stay-at-home wife and I never get bored, there's always things to keep me busy and occupied, in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is so interesting. I always thought of myself as an extrovert until I ran across a post similar to this. I think I'm a good mix though. But being out of the house for a day really exhausts me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah "I'm just a vert" I probably am too. I'm very borderline. There are so many things i do that label me as "extrovert" and at the same time so many that label me a "introvert"..so i just say i walk the line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been bored either when I haven't worked! I always am keeping busy, whether with a job or without! I think it's key to surviving the military lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that article. I used to think that I was an extrovert because I'm a social butterfly. Turns out I really only socialize with one person at a time (two others is usually my peak). I'm not an extrovert.

    This one hit the nail on the head, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this post a couple days ago on my phone while Carl and I were shopping and I went through that list and read everything to Carl because I felt like a lot of the things on it applied to him. It was either "OMG THAT'S SO YOU" or completely "No, not you even a little bit."

    And thanks for my shout out, I'm blushing a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete