Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My First Hostel Experience

I've written about my freshmen year roommate before (see here). Our motto was "What are we going to look back and remember? Studying or having a good time?"...actually that's a  lie, our motto was "Drink til he's hot". You get the idea of what our freshmen year was like. Oh don't you worry, we kept our craziness to the weekends. We were actually pretty good students.

Anyway...Anna was on a European adventure this summer and I was able to meet up with her in Slovenia for part of it. The last time I saw her was when we were 21 so we had a lot of catching up to do. As always, we had a ridiculously good time. We stayed at Hostel Tresor. It was my first hostel experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's almost like dorm living. But I could never stay in a hostel with Will, it's just not his style.

Hostel Tresor
Hostel Tresor

We stayed in a 10-person room. Four of the bunks had their own curtained off area. I felt bad for the guys who ended up in the bunk that was out in the open. The door to our room was accessible only by key card entry, same with the front door. It was a little noisy, but that's too be expected when you share a room with 9 other people. For my first experience, I have to say I was pleased. I had no idea what to expect and I walked away thinking, "Well that was fun!"

We didn't get to talk to everyone in our room since a lot of people were only there as a resting pit stop. But we did meet an American couple the first night, a guy from Belgium (I think? I can't remember), and an American expat currently living in Germany. The front desk staff were so helpful and had all kinds of awesome information for us.

Would I stay in a hostel again? Absolutely! But like I said, it's not Will's style so I'll have to do it with a friend.

Hostel Tresor
ńĆopova Ulica 38
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

5 comments:

  1. I've never stayed in a hostel before, but this definitely seems nicer than my imaginings of what a hostel was like. The curtains to give you some private space would definitely be nice! And hey, you get to do more traveling for fewer $$ if you can find cheaper places to sleep, so that's definitely a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never stayed in a hostel, this doesn't make it sound so horrible. I'm sure every hostel is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never stayed in a hostel. I'm not sure if I'd like it. The noise when I'm trying to sleep would probably bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "drink till he's hot" LOL

    And i love hostels! Sometimes you meet the coolest people at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. even if you don't meet cool people, you almost alwyas leeave with an interesting story :)

    ReplyDelete