Monday, August 19, 2013

Things I Didn't Do in Portland

I had a huge wishlist of things I wanted to do while I was in Portland. I added things to the list. Somethings were to redo the classics like a walk through Mt Tabor, see as many friends and family as possible, and do some hikes. I also added things that have been on my Oregon bucket list for a very long time (try a Voodoo Doughnut, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Crater Lake). You've read about all my Pacific Northwest adventures, but here's a few things that I didn't get to do:

1) Salt & Straw

I'm an ice cream fanatic. I'm a slow eater...until it comes to ice cream, frozen yogurt, or gelato. My family used to get ice cream cones all the time when I was a kid. If we didn't eat it fast enough, Mama or Daddy would help us out to "avoid drips". So when I heard about Salt & Straw and their crazy ice cream flavors, I immediately added it to the list. I was actually at their storefront on 23rd, but the line was ridiculous.

2) Portland Farmers Market

Italy's weekly markets have given me an appreciation for farmers markets. I don't usually buy anything, but I love browsing the stalls and the overall atmosphere of the square. So when I read this article and saw that Portland's market was ranked, I knew I wanted to check it out. I heard it was huge and had all kinds of awesome things for sale.

3) Oneonta Gorge

I actually did this hike when I was in middle school, but I don't really remember it. Google it or search it on Pinterest. You'll see some absolutely gorgeous pictures. They'll speak for themselves.

4) Powells

When I tell people I love reading they usually nod and say, "Me too!". To really get my point across, I have to tell them that I used to get grounded from reading when I was growing up. That's how much I love reading. Sure, I got grounded from video games and tv...but the real ball buster was when Mama took away my books. So now that you understand how much I love books, you'll understand why I dream about spending the day at the downtown Powells store. It's one of my favorite things to do, but I just didn't have the time to spend hours drooling over all the books. I did get to visit the Hawthorne store, but I was rushed and had other things to get to that day.

5) Potato Champion

As far as food carts go, Portland is like Mecca. I got to go to the Food Cart Festival and eat some amazing cart food, but I didn't get to visit my favorite cart over on 12th & Hawthorne. I loved going there after a night of bar hopping and getting a large cone of fries with their pesto mayo dipping sauce. My mouth is literally watering just thinking about it. So good! I've always wanted to try their poutine too. Someday...

7 comments:

  1. Grounded from reading!! haha! I remember getting in trouble sometimes for reading when I was supposed to be doing something useful, but I dont' think I ever got grounded. That could definitely be an effective strategy, though! Man, you had quite an ambitious list for your vacation, considering everything you did accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grounded from reading?! Haha that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to visit Portland someday soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH! Portland is one of my top places to visit someday!
    How funny, my mom would ground me from reading too growing up.
    Food Carts in Austin have been some of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is just too addicting; our moms definitely knew how to use it to their advantage! Portland is such an amazing city, I hope you get to visit soon.

      Delete
  5. I love the fact that you would get grounded from reading! Haha.

    Also ever since you posted about voodoo donut I've heard of them again - they must really be something special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear I can plan a vacation to Seattle/Portland based on your blog! I love all the hidden treasures!

    ReplyDelete