Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Best Landlord Ever

I apologize if you read this post right away. I wrote it as soon as I got home so I was a little drunk and wrote as I thought so this post is a bit awkward. I have tried to edit as best as I can, but it's a bit of a mess.

I went shopping with my landlord, his daughter, niece, and nephew. My landlord's daughter is going to be Wonder Woman for Halloween and I promised her lots of candy if she comes to our house next Thursday. She threatened to toilet paper and/or egg us if I don't come through. Her English is getting really good. She's eight, by the way, and the most outgoing, entertaining kid I've ever met.

After shopping, my landlord asked if I had time. Will was at work for the rest of the night so I had nothing to do. So we drove to a nearby town to drop his niece and nephew off. I got to meet his sister-in-law, her husband, and the rest of the children (they have five altogether...along with two dogs, a rabbit, a cat, and a turtle). As soon as I sat down, they served me a glass of wine...and then another. Then the husband asked (in Italian) if I liked beer. I answered, "Si!" So he opened a bottle and handed it to me with a glass. I poured half the bottle into my glass and pushed the bottle across the table to his empty glass, thinking we were sharing it. He then yelled at me to fill my glass, "NOT HALF! FILL! FILL!" Damnit. These people were about to get me drunk.

I swear! Every time my landlord picks me up, I end up drunk. I've come to terms with the idea a long time ago. May as well enjoy it before I get pregnant.

Luckily, they put out some cracker chips (kind of like tortilla chips, but thicker and square..like a cracker). After that, they sliced some AMAZING sausage and bread. They insisted I use two slices of sausage with my bread while they all only had one with theirs. Italians and their hospitality always melt my heart.


While we were shopping, I found out my landlord had a puppy that I haven't met yet and he found out I was on my own for the night. So he took me home. His wife cooked up some mashed potatoes and a steak. As always, her cooking was spot on and delicious! I learned that Italians like to cook their steak plain. When they serve it they season it with salt and pepper to taste. Then they pour olive oil over it. Olive oil! They thought I was weird for confirming, "Olive oil? On the bistecca?" I had my landlord pour some for me as if he were preparing his own steak. Just to try it their way. Not bad! Their steaks are also different than our American ones. They're very thinly sliced and look almost like thin pork chops, but still very delicious.

I'm also becoming a big fan of Italian caffè (coffee). Instead of drip coffee, they make espressos. They, too, add milk and sugar. Or maybe they only offered milk because I'm an American. I know for a fact that Italians add sugar to their caffè. I've seen it with my eyes. Seriously though...delicious. VERY strong. But delicious.

Their puppy, Florida (Flo for short), loves me a lot more than their last dog did. She (I think it's a she) was glued to my side and was loving all over me. I wanted to scoop her up and take her home to cuddle with me. I already know Will is going to die over her. Our landlord said he'd bring her to visit.


Sorry for the blurriness. Flo wouldn't stop moving and it was dark. But trust me...she's a cute little fluff ball!

7 comments:

  1. I'm always especially attracted to people who are hospitable beyond the bounds of reason. :) It's good to know people like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. Who doesn't like free food and drinks!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome, definitely best landlord ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really hospitable family for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's awesome that you wrote a post drunk. And later admitted to it. :) Also, wine and cheese with sausage is my favorite kind of dinner. It's so great that you have a family like this when Will isn't home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that your landlord is so friendly and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your landlord is seriously the best! Also - this post made me hungry haha

    ReplyDelete