Friday, November 8, 2013

Firenze

This was our third trip to Florence. I still love the city and I still haven't spent enough time exploring it. We got there later than we meant to. The plan was to catch the train from a nearby town so we wouldn't have to deal with driving or parking in the city. But we had a little trouble finding the train station. We thought our GPS was screwing us, but in the end it led us to a free commuter parking lot across the tracks from the main lot. Score! We were dumb though and forgot to save the location.

We spent the first half of our trip shopping, eating, and shopping. Then I realized. Oh shoot! We're not going to have time to do everything. So we spent the rest of our day rushing from one spot to the next. I felt bad for our guests, but they were troopers and kept up.

Duomo
Ponte Vecchio

Will and I finally saw David for the first time. It's definitely a sight to see.

David at Palazzo Vecchio
David at the Academia Gallery
David at the Academia Gallery

Yes, we cheated and snuck pictures. I wasn't ballsy enough to whip out my DSLR and take a picture (like some people). Will and I snapped quick shots with our iPhones and ran off guiltily.

It's as amazing as people say it is. I'm not at all an artsy person. But I sat, stood, and studied it from different angles. I can't even imagine having that vision in my head to create something so amazing. The details are insane, such as the veins in David's right arm are bigger than the left because that's how it would be if it were a real person standing the way the statue is standing.

It's one of those things you have to see for yourself to truly appreciate how beautiful and amazing it is. It definitely lives up to the hype.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I don't think I ever realized how tall the real statue was, I guess I figured it was human-sized! You guys definitely get to see so much that the rest of us just get to read about in history textbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those houses are ridiculous! I would be terrified to live in one!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is incredible! I want to go here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - to see david, that would be absolutely incredible!
    and those houses - i was cringing looking at them because i was so terrified they would fall into the water!

    ReplyDelete