Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Travel Tuesday: Cimitero Monumentale di Milano

Travel Tuesdays

Welcome to my Travel Tuesdays link up! I love reading about everyone's travel adventures. All I ask is that you link back to the current week's post (this week's link: http://bit.ly/1exdXj2 if you do decide to link up. Either post a link or use the button above. You don't have to post on Tuesdays. That's just when I'll be posting and opening the week's link up.




When I told my husband that the number one thing I wanted to see in Milan was a cemetery, he gave me a weird look. So did the rest of the guys when I told them. Of course they agreed, but they were skeptical...even after I explained how awesome the Monumental Cemetery looked in pictures. I originally saw pictures from Pinterest. It was one of those "Oh that looks cool, but I probably won't remember to actually go there" kind of things. But it stuck with me and I'm glad it did. We spent a couple hours there and we didn't see everything. It's HUGE! Some of the monuments and headstones were over-the-top amazing, some were plain, some were weird. I'm dying to know the stories behind some of them.

Monumental Cemetery
The front of the cemetery
Monumental Cemetery
Inside the building in the picture above
Monumental Cemetery
If you look at this straight on, it only looks like two figures. It was really cool.
Monumental Cemetery
This was a couple stories high and stood out among all the crypts.
Monumental Cemetery
There were a few mourning widows. So sad, but sweet.
Monumental Cemetery
I'm dying to know the story behind this one.
Monumental Cemetery
Gorgeous glass on a funerary shrine
Monumental Cemetery
Another huge monument over a funerary shrine. I looked in and I'm pretty sure this was for only two people.
Monumental Cemetery
Monumental Cemetery
Strange choice
Monumental Cemetery
Monumental Cemetery
I love the pop of color

If you have a couple hours and want to do something laid back in Milan, I highly recommend the cemetery. It sounds weird, but I promise it's beautiful and peaceful. The grounds are very well kept and there's a parking garage nearby if you can't fit into the small lot in front of the entrance. There are guys that will run up and help you find a spot. The man that helped us was really nice and wasn't pushy about a tip. Will gave him one anyway because he saved us a few euro on parking.

Cimitero Monumentale di Milano
Piazzale Cimitero Monumentale
20154 Milano, Italia

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't know if I ever would have thought to go to a cemetery, but how cool is this place! I love all of the statues. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that really looks like an interesting place! Angel and I like visiting cemeteries--there's always interesting/strange stones and monuments, and here in the US I love reading the bits and pieces of life stories that you can find on the stones--it's very interesting to visit in different places. Older cemeteries that we've stumbled across often even tell you how different people died...I would definitely visit a cemeteries if I was in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's probably the most gorgeous cemetary I've ever seen, so I can't blame you for wanting to go! And I finally brought Travel Tuesday back today! I hope you don't mind if I also link up with yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's incredible. Kind of reminds me of the cemetery my mom's grandma is buried at in northern Chile, only this one looks a lot bigger haha

    ReplyDelete