Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Carnevale in Venezia

Travel Tuesdays

Welcome to my Travel Tuesdays link up! Please link up with me, I love reading about everyone's travel adventures. All I ask is that you link back to the current week's post (this week's link: http://is.gd/KrHyXJ if you do decide to link up. Either post a link or use the button above. You don't have to post on Tuesdays. That's just when I'll be posting and opening the week's link up.




If you follow us on Twitter or Instagram, you already know what this post is about...CARNEVALE!

We drove to the Venezia Mestre train station and caught the train over to the main island. Unfortunately the first train to arrive ended up getting cleared off for some reason...I'm assuming mechanical issues. Everyone ran from that train to the one a few tracks over and packed it full. And I mean PACKED. Will and I wiggled onto one and it was wall to wall people. I was starting to panic, but the doors closed so I sucked it up. Suddenly they opened again and three more people jumped on. I seriously panicked right then. One lady hooked her arm around Will's and hoisted herself up and mashed into us. I was starting to really freak out from claustrophobia and I was pissed that she was holding onto my husband. So I un-pried her hand from my husband's arm and pushed her backwards. She just grinned and wiggled into the crowd on the train. Will wrapped his arm around me and had to keep me calm during the ride.

Carnevale

Once we got to Venice, it was a little better in terms of personal space...but it was no less crowded. Right outside the station there were dozens of face painters set up and a good amount of them were busy with customers. Boys, girls, women, men...everyone was getting masks painted on.

Carnevale
Carnevale

It took forever to get to Piazza San Marco. The polizia were trying to do some crowd control and kept closing off streets to the square for periods of time to keep the congestion down. Everyone kept getting herded around, it was frustrating! Eventually we made it through. When we entered the square, it was like being in the center of a fantastic circus. There were gorgeous costumed people in every direction, a band on the stage, and a drum group marching around the square. At one point Captain Jack Sparrow ran by us and two scantily clad Assassin Creed girls were chasing after him.

Carnevale
Carnevale
The main stage in Piazza San Marco
Carnevale
Basilica San Marco
Carnevale
Flag bearer for the drummers

I love how festive the whole city was. Decorations hanging off buildings and confetti all over the place. I had a blast! We might try to go back again next weekend. But we might try to check out some of the nearby towns too.

Carnevale
Carnevale
Carnevale
The waters were busy with boats and gondolas

5 comments:

  1. Looks pretty crazy, but so festive! I can just imagine you prying a lady off your husband's arm - well done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crowd control measures can be such a bummer for travel and events. It shutters some of the excitement! But it looks like you had a good time nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks awesome! I don't do well with big crowds like that, but I could probably suck it up for such a neat experience. ;) And I love that you moved that woman's hand away from Will - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO fun!!! A few friends of ours went and it seems like such a blast.

    ReplyDelete