Friday, February 21, 2014

Lodging Planning

I'm planning an extravagant...and by extravagant I mean the opposite...road trip for us this summer. Obviously with our trip back to the US funds will be lower than low, so I've been comparing prices for accommodations. Not fun, but necessary.

Hotels
I found some really great hotels, but the ones in our price range weren't optimal for sightseeing by foot. I know public transportation is great in Europe, but we have a hard time figuring out stops when everything is in a foreign language or not announced.

Hostels
I've been dying to stay in more hostels, and I found some amazing sounding ones. One even had a free family dinner every night. Can you imagine? A free home cooked meal every night! All of the ones I found were in perfect locations for sightseeing and weren't horribly expensive...as long as we were willing to do it in dorms instead of private rooms. I'm fine with that, but the mister doesn't like the idea.

Airbnb
We've never tried it before so first time jitters are a factor. But all the places I have found so far sound like a dream. My main filter when searching was finding a place with parking. That's where it got a little tricky. A lot of places listed parking on the premises when they mean "there's parking on the street in front". Nope, I'm not taking chances with our vehicle. I made sure to find places with parking accommodations in the descriptions. If they didn't bother to mention parking, then I assumed they don't have an assigned spot or lot nearby.

We'll probably do a combination of all three. I found pros and cons with each in different cities so it's just a matter of putting the puzzle together to make a good fit for us.

I'm not going to say where we're going yet because we're still trying to figure it out. We have so many options. Southern Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia....the list goes on and on.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I love Air BnB. It hasn't failed me, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only used AirBnB once so far but had a great experience with it. What makes Angel feel better about AirBnB is choosing a place that's already had a lot of reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about Air BnB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fun! I'm in the process of planning my Italy trip. Do you have any recommendations for hotels in Venice? Good price and centrally located are important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nitty gritty planning on a budget isn't much fun, but it'll be worth it I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Airbnb but it looks like an awesome site! I've stitching to plan a trip to Europe and it looks perfect for that!

    ReplyDelete