Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lugano, Switzerland

While the mister was on TDY in Portugal, I was busy planning all kinds of trips for us. We're leaving Aviano AB next summer and we don't want to cram all our traveling in at the last minute. One of the countries we really want to visit is Switzerland. So when I saw a day trip pop up on the base's ITT site I jumped on it. The mister was feeling under the weather, but he toughed it out. Like a good husband, he passed on his death cold to me. But luckily I didn't feel the effects until we were on the bus ride back.

Our first stop was a chocolate factory. It wasn't in operation since it was a Saturday, so we made a beeline for the store and picked out presents for our family...and a moderate amount of chocolate for ourselves. I purposely limited what I picked out for myself because I knew if I bought a lot I'd justify eating 12 bars in one day. Unfortunately I started eating my candy before I packed up the boxes to send out so now I'm trying to talk myself out of sending everyone just a little bit less so I can have just a little bit more.

According to our guide it rarely snows or rains in Lugano and normally the weather is very mild. We got the one day that it decided to go against the grain.

Lugano, Switzerland
tour guide

It was foggy, raining, and cold..but not cold enough to snow. But I'm from Oregon and I taught the mister well. We put up our hoods and set out. Will was completely amused all day long because I was wearing fingerless gloves and a black beanie. He kept calling me his cute little bum.

Lugano, Switzerland

I loved our tour guide. He was a local and he was so enthusiastic about his town and what he was showing us. It's as if he was talking to his kids and grandkids instead of a bunch of tourists. I stuck close to him during our tour so I wouldn't miss any of his stories and factoids.

Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli
Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli
Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli
Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli
Lugano, Switzerland

Everyone split off on their own at lunchtime to do their own thing. I had packed us sandwiches so we wiped off a bench and sat on the waterfront for our lunch. It was an amazing view and kind of romantic since we had to snuggle for warmth.

Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland

The clouds were kind of starting to lift, but not enough for us to justify riding one of the funiculars up to the top of the mountains for a pretty view. I wish we would have risked it. By the time we left it was nice and clear and it would have been totally worth it. But that's okay, we spent the rest of our afternoon wandering around town and along the waterfront.

Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
Eros Blindfolded By Igor Mitoraj (Will is 6 feet tall so that thing was huge!)
Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
My favorite picture of my husband.
Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
"Come on!" He was losing his patience with my constant stops for picture taking.
Lugano, Switzerland
Waterfront park with modern art
Lugano, Switzerland
George Washington!
Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
Just looking at these stairs makes me tired. No thanks, where's the funicular?
Lugano, Switzerland
"Stop looking at me, Swan!" (name that movie)

While we were waiting for our bus to pick us up, I couldn't help but notice a young couple dressed in cat onesies. The man on the right walked passed them and started barking (very loudly) at them. They responded by mewing (very loudly) back at them. They all burst into laughter, chatted a bit, and the man went along on his way.


Although we had a great time, the bus ride wasn't very fun. I didn't mind it, but the mister can't handle sitting in those seats for that long. He's too tall to be comfortable. I loved having someone else drive so I could relax and take a nap without having to navigate or keep Will company while he drives. But I guess we'll have to limit our ITT trips to less than 3 hour journeys from now on.

6 comments:

  1. Fun! I went to Lucerne, and the two places look very similar. Switzerland was so beautiful, and at the time, it was my first European Starbucks. It was a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I am headed to Switzerland this month, and this is making me terribly excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day trip!??? How far was it? I love Switzerland! So pretty! Sorry it was cold and rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Switzerland is on my list of places I desperately want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look cold and miserable, but a picnic lunch on a cold bench huddled together sounds cosy enough to make up for it :) Looks like a great place to wander around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billy Madison. ;)

    I'd love to visit there. Looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete