Friday, March 28, 2014

No solo travel

Since Will goes on those special business trips all the time, I've been tempted with the idea of doing some solo traveling. My college roommate did it last year and met a lot of cool people and did a lot of cool things.

But then I remember...I'm not the kind of person who can travel alone. I don't mind doing things alone within my geographic comfort zone. But I get overly anxious when it comes to new places.

Ljubljana Slovenia
Walking in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Photo credit: My college roommate

Will is the same way. He has admitted on more than one occasion that if he weren't married to me, he wouldn't have done even a portion of what we've done.

But together? Together we're fearless and we'll go just about anywhere. I mapped out a two week roadtrip to 5 different countries and we're really looking forward to going on it. I thought maybe it was too much for us, but Will is sold and insists that we do it.

Rome Italy
Travel buddies in Rome, Italy. Photo credit: Mama

So for now I'll fantasize and plan more trips for the two of us to take whenever he gets back. If you have any good solo travel stories, please share them! I'd love to live vicariously through you.

13 comments:

  1. Tabitha MahoneyFriday, March 28, 2014

    I've never travelled solo either, I wish I could though. I have a friend that saved and then quit her job and have been traveling her way through South America for the last year, she's coming home in May and I can't wait to hear all her stories. She worked at a bar, she got certified as a yoga instructor, and now she's working on a yacht. I can't wait to hear about your upcoming road trip! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your friend's trip sounds amazing! I wish I had the lack of paranoia and anxiety to travel by myself like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only traveled to places I know by myself, it's scary otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never travelled solo either and the thought scares... dang Liam Neeson and his movies lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a rock star solo traveler in college. I studied abroad in England and lived it up. And then I got married and got way too comfortable with being a "we" instead of a "me." When my husband was deployed while we were in Italy, I did a few trips on my own and they just weren't as much fun. I missed sharing that aspect of my life with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree about the "we" instead of "me" thing. It's just not the same after traveling so much with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RIGHT!? Taken scared the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly, I'm comfortable if it's somewhere I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really nervous about travelling alone... I really enjoy how Malcolm and I are different in ways that make us both do things that we wouldn't have done alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate so much to this! I don't like to travel by myself, at all. I mean, the airplane/in-transit travel by myself, that's fine. But actually exploring somewhere new and taking a vacation on my own? Not my thing. Angel and I are much more fearless together--I'm not afraid of going anywhere with him, because then no matter what happens, at least we can help each other out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tease Will a lot about how he really wouldn't travel as much if it weren't for me, but the truth is...I probably wouldn't travel as much if it weren't for him too. I know I'd find travel buddies here and there, but not as often as I do with Will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, Will and I are much more adventurous and fearless when we're together versus when we're apart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would do it if it was the only opportunity that I would have to visit a place. I went to Venice all by myself (coming from Germany), and it wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete