Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What Will Does

It's hard to explain what Will does at work because he does so much and everyday is different. He's a crew chief...a maintainer for fighter jets. Right now he's on F-16's and he also worked on two different jets when he was stationed at Elmendorf AFB. It's kind of crazy (to me) that he's been trained to service three different types of jets....especially considering he's still technically a first-term Airman even though he's been in over 6 years. (He had to extend his contract to match his assignment to Italy.)

Anyway, here's a really short video of the maintainers that are TDY (temporary duty - usually means training away from their duty station aka home base) in Poland. Yet again, Will managed to avoid the cameras and is nowhere to be found. He might be in the background somewhere...or he's hidden from view in a truck. I love these promotional videos and pictures that the base puts out.



Edit: He is in it! In the first shot on the ground, he's in the back walking away and he turns for a moment to look at the camera over his shoulder. I didn't recognize him because his walk looks different and I rarely see him in his work coveralls. If he didn't point himself out, I never would have seen him.

15 comments:

  1. Hey, so cool that you spotted him--even if he did have to point himself out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find all of the air force planes and their "caretakers" to be really fascinating. My husband is in law school and really gunning for Air Force JAG, so maybe I'll get to see a lot more of these in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to watch it a few times before I really believed that was him. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to your husband! I hope he gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! My hubby is aircrew on the E-3… one of the places we could be going next is Elmendorf (which I am hoping does not happen, but this is this life), was that one of the jets Will worked on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is pretty awesome! My Dad was a jet engine mechanic in the air force and anyone that works on these aircrafts is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!! that is awesome that he is in it ...and so much work they do! thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that he's in it! And it sounds like an interesting job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will worked on the 15's and 22's when we were there. To be honest, I wouldn't mind going back to Elmendorf. Actually, almost all our friends wouldn't mind going back...my sister talks about how much she misses it all the time. The only reason we don't have it on Will's dream sheet is that they might pull the bait and switch and send us to Eielson...no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Will's job is totally awesome and I always ask him about it. He just sees it as work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It amazes me when he tells me about his day and he's like "Oh yeah we took apart a jet and put it back together." As if it's no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right? I was so excited when I spotted him! I was hoping he'd be interviewed or they'd show him actually working on a jet. But he hates being in the spotlight so I guess it doesn't surprise me that he's walking away in the video.

    ReplyDelete