Monday, April 28, 2014

Semi-Charmed Summer 2014 Book Challenge



I love participating in any of Megan's book challenges. I never finish, but it's still fun to try. I've picked up books I've never heard of or never would have considered to fulfill requirements and I've found really amazing books because of it. I probably won't have the time to finish the summer challenge, but I still want to give it a go. Here's my preliminary ideas:

  5 points: Freebie! Read any book that is at least 200 pages long.


I know, I know. How could I have this on my bookshelf and not have read it yet? I really have no excuse or explanation.

10 points: Read a book that was written before you were born.



A friend of mine had two copies and gave me this one to read. We both really liked the first Hobbit movie and were curious on how the book compares. I've been torn on whether or not I want to read the book before I watch the movies. But I'm too curious about the story to hold out.

10 points: Finish reading a book you couldn't finish the first time around. (You must have at least 150 pages left in the book to use it for this category.)




Yet another book I have on my shelf that I keep picking up and setting aside. I told Jessica that I'd read it so she can use it for the "Read a book another blogger has already read for the challenge" category, so that'll be good motivation. I would hate to leave her in a lurch!

10 points: Read a book from the children’s section of the library or bookstore.



I'm all about knocking out the series this challenge. I have a lot of them on my 'to read' list. It's weird to me that this is in the children's section, but whatever. I'll take it.

15 points: Read a book that is on The New York Times' Best Sellers List when you begin reading it.


TBD...we'll see what's on the list when I get to this section


15 points: Read a historical fiction book that does not take place in Europe.



15 points: Read a book another blogger has already read for the challenge. (Yes, you will have to wait until the first check-in to choose this book! So no one will be able to finish this challenge in only one month; sorry!)

TBD...fingers crossed I find a good book from the first check in!

20 points: Read a book with “son(s),” “daughter(s)” or “child(ren)” in the title. No other words will count—including kids, offspring, etc.—so please don’t ask. :)


I found this book by searching for books with 'daughter' in the title. Actually, I searched 'children' and 'son' first and didn't find anything I was smitten with. But this one, The Tyrant's Daughter, sounds fascinating.

20 points: Read a book that was/will be adapted to film in 2014.


My mom handed me this book last time I was home and I never got around to it. I've heard great things about it so I'm excited to read it.

25 points: Read a book written by a blogger.



25 points: Read a biography, autobiography or memoir.


I loved the first book by John Elder so I'm super excited to read this one. 

30 points: Read a pair of books with antonyms in the titles.


Do these count? Because I really want them to. I could get more creative if I had to.

Is it May 1st yet? I'm ready to start!

21 comments:

  1. Ahh you have to read Divergent! It's the BEST! (Ya I got really into that book while I was reading it as you can tell)
    -Marley
    http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will! And I'll let you know what I think. First, I was waiting for all the books to come out. Then, I was waiting for my husband to go on TDY because he pouts when I neglect him for a book. But then, I just wasn't in the reading mood. I promise I'll get to it soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--you'll have a lot of reading to do this summer! I haven't heard of most of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like great books, I need new ones to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol at your last picks. i say they work! i am currently up to #3. Cinder looks interesting. I loved the Hobbit. but I love all things Tolkien. I don't know if you'll be like me, but honestly - it took me several chapters to get into it, then I loved it. I was younger then though, so maybe it would be different now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved divergent! The next two are really awesome as well--I hope you liked them as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I love about these challenges, I haven't heard of some of these books until I had to search for books the categories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll let you know what I think as I finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope so too! I'll definitely be writing a post with reactions when I'm through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good! I'm glad you think they fit, I really really want them to so I can knock out the series during the challenge. The friend that gave me The Hobbit has similar tastes and she said I'd really like it so I'm expecting great things. I never like movie versions more than book versions so I think I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a nice list there. I enjoyed Raising My Rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you're getting some series done with your list! I might have to see if I can switch a few of mine around. I didn't realize Cinder was in the children's section, but it's on my to-read list so I might switch out the one I chose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, it's listed as children's at Powell's and on Amazon. A lot of young adults are lumped into the children's sections...which is kind of weird, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Divergent! I also have Wild on my list! And The Tyrant's Daughter does sound interesting! I'll have to check that out! New follower from Beyond The Gradebook!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have an awesome list! And I think Insurgent and Allegiant definitely count but that might be because I'm biased towards the divergent series! Also, DO read Cinder so I can use it too haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm definitely counting a YA book for the children's category. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you read Wild first, you'll have to let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have Cinder at my mom's house so I'll get to reading it as soon as I get back to the US on our visit. I'm hoping it's as good as I expect it'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm all about knocking out a series if you can make it fit, and having read the Divergent series, I agree with Fran - those count as antonyms! And that's nice of you to help out Jessica. :) Haha. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yess! I'm glad because I already read them! I'm working on The Lunar Chronicles next.

    ReplyDelete