Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sheep on Parade

I'm so totally and completely a city girl and living in this small farm town entertains me to no end. People stop by for coffee at the bar next door and drive up in their tractors or their trailers with cows chilling in the back.

The sheep parade...that was a first in the ~3 years that we've lived here. I was hanging out, playing video games in bed when I felt some vibrations and heard some baa-ing. It took me a minute for my brain to process what was going. I ran over to the window and seeing all those sheep was an immediate day-maker. I fumbled around for my phone so I could take a few videos and snap a bunch of pictures.

Sheep Parade
That's our car parked in the bottom corner. I wanted to be sitting on the trunk watching.

I really wanted to run downstairs, but I was scared that I wouldn't make it out in time. So I just hung out the window and watched the show from above. There was a car waiting to go across with a woman and her small child. They got out to watch, so I wasn't the only one enjoying the show.

I didn't see the front of the herd, but there was no one in between and only a man and a dog at the back. I was so impressed that they didn't wander off or stop for more than a minute to snack on the shrubs.


The babies and their floppy ears cuteness just kills me.

Does anyone have any experience with sheep herding? Is this normal? Are they always so well-behaved? My only experience with sheep is from Babe.

13 comments:

  1. That is a LOT of sheep! It's interesting to see that some of them did stop and munch on that hedge, but moved along so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap that's a lot of sheep! I think it's pretty normal for sheep to just kind of go where they're herded too. Cows are like that too..as long as they kind of have a path, they stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I was so impressed with their restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I want to see a herd of cows parade through town. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow!!! That's a lot of sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know right? I'm glad there were so many though or else I would have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Now that's a lot of sheep! The house where we live now was a sheep farm back in the day when my great-grandpa owned it, but my family has rented the pasture land to a dairy farmer for my entire lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a couple cow pastures near base and it's really exciting when they're hanging out by the fence near the road. My friend and I cheered when we drove past one and the cows were lying down right up against the fence. If we weren't on our way to dinner we probably would have stopped and tried to pet them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, We have a real live sheep parade every summer in my stupid little town. I think it's so ridiculous but I know that Mia is going to LOVE it in the next year or so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so funny! Does that happen very often? I love that a few of them stopped to nibble at the bushes along the way and that there were a few "black sheep" in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not really sure if this was a rare occurrence or if it happens all the time and this just happens to be the first time I've seen it. I hope it happens again though! It was so much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really!? I can't wait until she's old enough to enjoy it. I already know the pictures are going to be the cutest ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha thats so random and awesome!

    ReplyDelete