Monday, April 21, 2014

Situational Letters

Situational Letters

Growing up my mom used to hide little notes in my luggage when I went to visit my dad for the summer. Little love notes, notes of encouragement, just because notes. It gave me something to look forward to when I was sad about leaving for so long.

I tried to continue the tradition with Will, but the first time I did it was before I went home to Hawaii. He caught on quickly that there were notes hidden in the house and went on a hunt. He found most of them before my plane touched down.

When we were dating I sent him a stack of letters to open when he went on his first TDY. I think they didn't last past the first week. He knew it was supposed to last him the whole time, but he couldn't help himself during the days we weren't able to talk.

I've been seeing ideas for situational letters on Pinterest and I thought I'd give it a try. I customized the letters so he couldn't open them all at once.

When he has forgotten how weird I am
When we're mad at each other...or I'm mad at him
When he wants to come home and he hates everyone around him
When he wants to come home and he really really hates everyone around him
When he needs to hear how much I love him

I think the situational rule helps because the letters would be silly if he read them all at once. I'll have to do this from now on because a week or two ago I asked him if he'd burned through them all yet and he said no!

Do you have any ideas for future letters? I have to brainstorm for future TDYs or deployments.

18 comments:

  1. Aww, that's a good idea, to add "situations" that will most likely come up to the letters, I've never done that before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of this it's such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a lot of extra thinking to come up with scenarios that will come up while he's gone. But it was a lot of fun, I'll probably do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought he'd cheat and force the letters to work, but he's been really good about only opening them when they apply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea....my hubby does the same thing when I just give him a bunch of letters but this would probably help pace him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never done this before, but it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It totally worked for Will! He's coming home soon(ish) and he still has a couple letters to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you try it, let me know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I'm just glad I finally got him to stretch his letters out instead of binge reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute idea! I love finding hidden notes - but I also love surprises so I would never look for all of them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the same way! I love finding notes and I like to keep the surprise. I think the first time my mom hid notes in my luggage I hunted for them. It took all the fun out of it so after that I tried to hold back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I must try this! Adorable idea and will make my husband feel special. I used to mail him notes when we were dating. Alas, I don't really do this anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adrie @ ALittleWife'sHappyLifeTuesday, April 29, 2014

    Oh, this is such a great idea!

    I wrote lots of letters to Zeke while we were dating- the long-distance thing was hard sometimes- and also when we were engaged, but now that we're married I don't write as many letters. I may have to start doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen a lot of pictures on Pinterest of letters like this bundled up and given as gifts. It would be a cute non long distance way to write to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely try it and let me know how it goes for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. seriously, I LOVE This idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! I liked that it made me think a little more about what I wanted to say instead of trying to come up with different ways to say "love and miss you"

    ReplyDelete