Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Oregon Road Trip: On the Road

Marco Polo Airport

We're back in Oregon! It was a long annoying journey from Italy to Portland, but we made it in one piece. Will turned 25 the day after we arrived and we celebrated by buying him some fancy new suits and a pair of Oakley's; watching Captain America 2; and going out to dinner with my extended family on my mom's side.

PDX carpet
I don't know if you know this, but #PDXcarpet is a thing. They're replacing the carpet at the Portland airport so everyone is posting their carpet pictures before the renovation. There's even an Instagram dedicated to it.

Then Will, Mama, and I hit the road! We drove out to Eastern Oregon and made stops along the way. The ghost town of Shaniko, John Day Fossil Beds (Clarno, Painted Hills, and Sheep Rock), and the Wallowas. Of course, we experienced some of the typical gray skies and rainy weather here and there. But for the most part, Oregon was showing off for us. Bright blue skies, big puffy clouds, and green scenery...absolutely gorgeous!

Oregon road trip
Oregon road trip
Oregon road trip
Oregon road trip
Oregon road trip

Our very first pit stop was early into our trip. I wanted to stop at the Bonneville Dam, but I wasn't paying attention and we missed the exit. Instead, we stopped at the Cascade Fish Hatchery, which is also the start of the Eagle Creek to Punchbowl Falls hike. We were hoping to get a quick peek at some baby fish or something, but there wasn't a lot going on. They're actually closed right now. Hence Will's grumpy face. If we have time before we leave, we might come back and do the hike. It's a little less than 4 miles in and back...totally doable day trip.

Cascade Fish Hatchery
Eagle Creek Trailead

18 comments:

  1. "long" and "annoying" are just the right kind of words to characterize airplane travel that takes you from one side of the world to the other, in my experience! How funny about the carpet instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scenery was very gorgeous! I hope y'all have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I'm going to be there next week! I'm excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for being oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah [life of love]Wednesday, May 14, 2014

    Uuuuuugh, I miss that! Please give the PNW a huge hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scenery is so pretty! I just checked out the carpet instagram... wow, what a trend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I love the PDX carpet! It better be replaced with equally awesome carpet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh it must be nice to be back in the states! I have to say that I'm a little jealous of you. I've never heard of that carpet thing but I like that it has its own Instagram- too funny!

    -Marley
    http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. can i just join in on y'alls trips?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course! You're welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a great trip! I love Italy, but it was amazing to be back in the US again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That new carpet had better be epic. I never noticed how unique the old carpet is until they announced that they are replacing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Oregon's scenery, I can't get enough of it! The PDX carpet instagram cracks me up. Some people get really creative with their pictures. We just didn't have the energy to do anything but stand there by the time we arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yesss! I'm ready to turn around and go back already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As much as I miss home, I'm glad we don't have to do that journey very often.

    ReplyDelete