Friday, May 23, 2014

Oregon Road Trip: Shaniko

Shaniko Oregon

When Mama first announced that our first stop would be the ghost town, Shaniko, I was skeptical. I was imagining a super creepy abandoned town that had a few ghosts. On the other hand, I also pictured one of those tourist trap towns that have the reenactments with the shootouts at high noon in the middle of the main street.

Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon

I definitely was not expecting the cute little town that we found. It's not quite tourist season so only a few of the shops/buildings-turned-museums were actually open. We just wandered through town and poked our heads into the few buildings that were open. I had a blast running around with the camera.

Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon
Shaniko Oregon

It was a fun pit stop and we enjoyed a picnic lunch there...in the car. It was too windy and cold to sit outside on one of the many picnic benches. Would I visit again? Heck yeah, if I'm in the area I'd love to see the town when everything is open. But it was fun this time having free reign to explore without anyone around except a few other photographers and road trippers.

10 comments:

  1. SO COOL! i've always wanted to visit a real "ghost town" (and you got some really sweet pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cool pictures! Road trips are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very picturesque indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahw you two are just the cutest!
    -Marley
    http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was adorable, I wish I could return for the tourist season so I could see more of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! My mom always plans the coolest road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On one hand, I wish we had the place to ourselves. On the other, I'm glad there were other people around...it was pretty, but there was an eeriness about the town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This town is adorable! I would love to visit a ghost town. It makes me think of the Brady Bunch when they get locked in the jail. Hahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha what? I haven't seen that episode, I need to find it.

    ReplyDelete