Friday, July 11, 2014

Eating and Drinking in Brussels Belgium

I'm having withdrawals from all the delicious Belgian food and beer. We ate as often as our stomachs would allow. My stomach was heartbroken when we had to leave. Here are our favorites:

- Chocolates!

I dragged Will into Neuhaus everyday for new pralines. (Did you know that Neuhaus was the one to create pralines?) They were all surprising and delicious. We also tried a few other brands, but Neuhaus was my favorite.

Belgian chocolate

- Frits (Frites / Fries)

Did you know that French fries should really be named Belgian fries? The man who brought them to the US heard French being spoken so he assumed the food was French. Belgium was robbed! They take their fries very very seriously. In fact, our tour guide told us that one of the questions on the citizens test asks how to properly make Belgian fries. Through my pre-trip research I found Fritland. It's right next to the old stock exchange building and sound super fake. But they have some seriously delicious fries. We got the traditional Belgian sauce - andalouse sauce. They say it's a little spicy, but I didn't think it was at all. (I'm the kind of girl who orders my Pad Thai with 0 hotness on a scale from 1-5...I get laughed at sometimes.) Anyway the fries are soft and fluffy on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside. Paired with the andalouse sauce...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. So good!

Belgian friess

- Mussels

Mussels from Brussels haha! So dumb, but yeah. My pre-trip research said to try the mussels. We really have nothing to compare them to since neither of us have ever tried them before. I ordered them with white wine sauce and they gave me a huge pot of them. They're chewer than clams, but less chewy than oysters.

mussels

- Beer (of course)

We're not huge beer fans. I'm definitely don't like the dark stuff. But Belgian beer throws all that out the window. We drank at a few places, but Delirium is the place to go if you want to drink in Brussels. The service was awful. The female bartender literally ignored us and served people to the right and left of us, constantly passing over us. The rest of the staff ran around looking busy, but there were only ever three couples at a time at the bar (including us) while we were waiting. So ridiculous. Finally the male bartender served us. We would have spent a lot more money there and tried a lot more beers, but we drank one each and left. But, the beer was worth it. Will ordered the Nocturnum, which I ended up sneaking up more than a few gulps, and I ordered a...shoot I forget. It was a pale one.

Delirium

- Waffles (obviously)

There are three types of Belgian waffles. One is smaller and round with clumps of sugar mixed in so it melts into the batter as it cooks. It's sweet and needs no toppings (but it's delicious with whipped cream). The second type is the one pictured below. It's larger and square and is typically topped with chocolate or whipped cream. This one was my favorite. It wasn't too sweet and we got it off a truck so it was hot off the iron. I could have eaten more, but Will insisted we save room for dinner (insert lots of pouting from me). The third type of waffle is the tourist waffle. It's piled high with all kinds of toppings. The waffle itself is the least tasty, but all the topping make it delicious.

Belgian waffle

- Chutney's

Our last night we ate at our hotel's restaurant, Chutney's, and ordered traditional Belgian dishes. To start off I got a cherry lambic beer (kriek lambic). So good...and I hate cherry so that's saying something. For dinner I ordered li├Ęge meatballs and they melted in my mouth. I like meatballs, but I don't love them. But these? These I loved. Will ordered beef carbonnade with geuze beer. I tried a bite and it was so tender and juicy. I preferred my meal, but I would have been happy if I had ordered his too. And of course I got a waffle with everything on it for dessert. Whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate, and fruit. Yum! Everything we ate was filling without being too heavy and it was a perfect meal to end our trip.

Belgian food


10 comments:

  1. I miss the fries and waffles!! *Drools*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like my kind of trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard French fries weren't actually French, but I didn't know the story behind it. That's crazy! Haha. And this just reaffirms that Brussels belongs near the top of my to-visit list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you try and of the fruit beers? I love the kirsch bier. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to dive into all of that food... YUM!! You are gorgeous, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wasn't expecting much out of it since it was a last minute, thrown together trip...but it ended up being one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea! You should definitely visit Brussels, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the cherry one. I wanted to try more, but I was stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! The food was worth the trip. So good!

    ReplyDelete