Wednesday, July 9, 2014

World Cup

I tried not to get too emotionally invested in the World Cup, but it happened anyway. I was sad when Italy and Japan were eliminated. I was heartbroken when the US was knocked out. I booked our Belgium trip before I realized that it was Belgium that we were playing next. Will and I made a lot of jokes about how awkward our trip would be no matter who won. If we won, we'd have to give all the Belgians an "I'm sorry my team eliminated yours" looks. If we lost (which we did), we'd have to see all the kits and flags, hear all the chants and cheers...but it wasn't so bad. We got into the spirit. There are a LOT of Brazil fans.

Brazil fans

These boys were super rowdy. They were hanging out the windows, flirting with all the girls and chanting. They went nuts anytime another Brazil fan walked by. Especially this group, they all went crazy:

Brazil fans

On the day of the Belgium game, we planned on finding a bar and watching the game. But we ended up at Delirium and they didn't have any TVs. After we had a beer, we walked around trying to find somewhere good to watch the game. Anywhere worth going was packed. Some of the bars had large TVs pushed up against the windows so people were crowded in the streets all over the place...with drinks in hand of course.

Belgium World Cup game
Belgium World Cup game
Belgium World Cup game
Belgium World Cup game
See the guy in the gray shirt? He climbed up the side of the building. He ended up falling off after a little while. Don't worry, he was fine and laughing about it.

I'm too short so I couldn't see any of the screens at the places we stopped at. We ended up going back to our hotel to catch the end of the game from our room. I was going with the whole "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing and that backfired. I'm over the World Cup. There are a couple teams I'd like to see win, but I'm not rooting for anyone. Too much disappointment.

8 comments:

  1. I agree - there has been a lot of disappointment - and that game last night....man Germany crushed brasil - and it was sad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The games have been crazy especially the game yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie@HandlingWGraceThursday, July 10, 2014

    I don't watch soccer... at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big soccer fan, but I will say that when we were stationed in Germany, the Cup watching got addictive. So glad Deutschland made it to the finals. Tor tor tor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I couldn't believe it! But I knew Germany was going to get to the finals, they've been playing amazingly this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, understandable. It's easy to get swept up here since Europe is so hardcore about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's hard not to get into it. The last Italy game was especially loud. Our town was yelling and cheering like crazy.

    ReplyDelete