Monday, August 4, 2014

Bridge of the Gods

Bridge of the Gods

I laughed when my mom handed me Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. Me? Read a book about hiking? I never turn down a book recommendation, though. It took me almost a year to get around to it. A big motivator was the Semi-Charmed Summer 2014 Book Challenge. It fit in one of the categories so I read it on the plane on the way to Oregon.

I kicked myself for waiting so long to read the book. There's a good reason it's so popular. I'm not really great at giving book reports or reviews, so I'll just say that I highly recommend it and leave it at that.

Anyway, so the Bridge of the Gods connects Oregon to Washington and that's where Cheryl ends her journey. I jumped at the chance to see it. I love it when I can make a book and reality meet.

Cascade Locks Trail Head
Bridge of the Gods
Bridge of the Gods
Bridge of the Gods
Bridge of the Gods
Bridge of the Gods
Pacific Crest Trail

14 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've done that with books and places before, too, only I feel like I've always done it the other way around--after I've been somewhere, I keep an eye out for books and stories that take place there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that places looks awesome! and I've heard so much about Wild, might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it! I liked it because her journey is so relatable. She's not an experienced hiker bragging about being an experienced hiker. She's also not all zen and introspective the entire time either. She's really honest about the whole thing and it's definitely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm going to do a part of the trail on a future visit. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cool idea, I've never done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of my favorite bridges!!

    Hope you and your man are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gorgeous greenness of the NW is our reward for putting up with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jamie@HandlingWGraceTuesday, August 19, 2014

    It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so incredibly gorgeous!
    and that book sounds very interesting! i'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me know what you think when you read it. I wouldn't have picked the book up myself, so I'm glad my mom gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete